Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hi!

I've become such a fan of my google reader and all of the blogs I subscribe to - dy/danmisscalcul8Math = LoveEverybody is a Genius and many more (see my blog roll) - that I've been inspired to start my own blog, so here we go!
I'm the math department chair at the only high school in a suburb of Fort Worth, Texas.  We are a 3A high school, which in Texas means we're not too big and we're not too small.  We have about 950 students in our high school (grades 9-12).  Our district has one junior high, one intermediate school, and two elementary schools.  We face the same challenges that many schools across Texas and even the United States face, a major challenge being effective math education in our district.  So this year, a colleague of mine and I have decided to tackle the daunting task of creating a cohesive, vertical, K-12 alignment of math instruction in our district.  And no, that doesn't mean that we're sitting down to write a scope & sequence.  Our goal is to align our instruction - how we present material, expectations we have for our students, communication between grade levels about what works for a group of students (and what doesn't), the whole shebang!  My goal with this blog is to document our pursuit in hopes that we can provide valuable insight to other schools.  I'll also be blogging about my personal experiences as a classroom teacher - activities, lessons, interactive notebooksstandards based grading, and flipping my classroom.  Wish us luck and let the journey begin!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog mention. I look forward to reading about your district's experiences with alignment. This is something that I would love to see happen in my own district!

    Oh, and I love the blog title!

    ReplyDelete