Pages

Monday, August 22, 2016

New Beginnings


Tomorrow I'll start my 18th year of teaching at a brand new school.  I'm THE math teacher at Burleson Collegiate High School in Burleson, Texas.  We will have 76 students in our inaugural class of Collegiate Panthers.  Go Green, Black and Silver!  Here's a peak into my new classroom.  I love love love the student desks that we have!  So many different ways to arrange them!  And I'm thrilled to have such a huge space and two big windows in my room!  It's been a long time since I had natural light in my classroom.  You'll notice that there's lots in my room that came from Sarah over at Math=Love.  She is the QUEEN of posters for the Math Classroom and much of what hangs on my walls came from her!



Starting the year off in pairs, but these desks are so easy to rearrange and there's so many different ways they can be configured!


Class information and the calendars where I'll post the assignment each day.  I'll also hang a vertical file next to the calendars where absent students can find copies of the work they missed.


I got this from Sarah and I love it!  I hung next to the whiteboard at the front of my room to remind me as much as my students that this is the philosophy in my classroom!


My desk area.  If I had one complaint, it would be that this really cool looking desk has ZERO drawers in it.  So I'm either going to learn how to do with less or it's going to end up being a mess!


I think I got these from Sarah as well?  I'm not sure.  I've had them for awhile.  But I love them!


I made my own version of an ABC's of Algebra that I saw on TPT.  I can't bring myself to pay for something if I think I can fairly easily make it myself.  I'm happy with how this turned out!


I give my students a growth mindset assessment the first day of school and spend a lot of trying to help them develop a growth mindset during the year.  If you guessed that these posters came from Sarah, you're right!


Love all this storage at the back of my classroom!


I zip-tied these pencil pouches to each desk.  It gives me a place to store A-B-C-D cards and Thinking Frames for each of my students.  I also plan on making students put their cell phones in these pouches, especially during assessments!


Here are the A-B-C-D cards and Thinking Frames that are in the pencil pouches on each desk.


A reminder of some of my students from my last school.  These are from the Top 10% Banquet that was held each year.  The seniors in the top 10% chose an teacher who had a positive impact them to honor at the banquet and they wrote something about you.  Definitely a highlight each year!

7 comments:

  1. I love your classroom! I've seen the ABC's of Algebra on TPT too and like you couldn't justify spending money on them, but I've never thought to make my own....hmmm...now you've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you give me your e-mail, I'll send you mine! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much! That'd be great! greta.bergman22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you email ABC to me too, please? Love it so much. Thanks
    innang@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI!
    I'm just reading your post today, thanks to Meg's Stars Of the Week post - and I'd love the ABC's of algebra too if you'd like to send it out again! My school email is dboden@conejousd.org. I hope your year goes really well! Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI!
    I'm just reading your post today, thanks to Meg's Stars Of the Week post - and I'd love the ABC's of algebra too if you'd like to send it out again! My school email is dboden@conejousd.org. I hope your year goes really well! Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete