Pages

Monday, August 14, 2017

My First Day Plans

Yes, yes, I know - I'm doing the #SundayFunday post on a Monday!  But I wanted to participate in the blogging challenge even if I'm late....

I would not have the plans that I have if it weren't for the amazing people in the #MTBOS who are always so ready and willing to share their stuff!

This year I'm teaching Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2.  I am THE math department at my school - we're only in our second year and with a student body of 150 kids, it was determined that one math teacher would do.  So here I am!

My plans for the first day (for the first week, for that matter) are the same for all of my preps.

I'm going to start with Sara VanDerWerf's 100 #'s activity so that students know from day 1 what my expectations are in terms of group work and collaboration.  I've never done this activity before, so I'm very excited about it!  After the activity we'll debrief by coming up with some group norms for the year.

To give them some practice working appropriately in their groups, I'll start them on the Four 4's activity next.  I don't know that we'll have time to do much with it, but I'm going to challenge them to come up with ways to get the numbers 1-20 to start.  I'm going to hang some paper in the hallway so that over the course of the next few days or weeks they can try and come up with solutions for the numbers 1-100.  I've never done this activity before, either, but I'm excited to try it as well.  I think it will really help me as a teacher to start off allowing my students to struggle productively - something I've had trouble doing but something I KNOW is good for them.

2 comments:

  1. The Four 4s activity is quite fun. In my experience, Ss will try to introduce other numbers in sneaky ways, like cube roots. Be super clear about the constraints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure that MS Outlook is compatible with your operating system before installing a new copy on your computer. Also, double-check that your firewall settings are correct before installing your email program. This should solve the problem..................Outlook Bellen

    ReplyDelete